Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rookie Homesteader Vs. Everyone Else - The Difference

As the Rookie Homesteader, I often find myself in situations that many farmers or homesteaders don't.  Most people swing on luck.  For most, the very season they set out to raise a garden, they have the biggest crop known to man.  The instant they decide to raise chickens, they get them and receive 20 eggs a day.  If they want a pig, they get one and it is at butcher weight within 2 months!

And now for the reason I call myself the Rookie Homesteader.  When I grow a garden, no rain;  When I get chickens, my neighbors dog eats them; when I get a pig (Well read about my first Pig experience here).  Ya...that is my luck with farming.  However, I cannot stop!

I do feel like I am making so much progress.  I have canned goods in my cabinets, pork in the freezer, and a ton of ideas LOL.  I got 20 chickens in the room in their brooder.  These will be raised for meat and will be butchered.  However while they are here they will enjoy the full life that a chicken possibly could and fed healthy food for my family.  As you can see from the pictures below my mom was not as excited :)

I know she is thinking these will end up like the hundreds of others that I bought you....food for a dog!  I have a plan this time.  LOL  It will be chronicled here keep watching.  As of now they are safe in my house chirping away.....Katie will be complaining on facebook in 2 days of the noise LOL.

I mentioned in the last post that Arthur was butchered.  He provided plenty of meat.  I cannot wait to get another one.  My friends Amber and Chad Bishop cooked the first meal off of him and since then I have made ribs along with Pinto beans from the neck bones.  DDEEELLLIIICCIIOUUUSS.  Loved it.  The taste was so pure and cannot be described.  The best part was I didn't feel disgusted after I ate.  I knew the food was wholesome and knew where it came from.  Much better to give to your family.

It is Amber's birthday today.  I am going to give her a shout out on here and wish her a happy birthday.  Hope it was great.  Here she is in her birthday suit LOL If you are new to the blog please read the past posts...I am sure you will find them entertaining.


3 comments:

  1. Justin, I don't know if I should ring your neck or to just bust out in laughter (which I have smiled and laughed both while reading including some jaw opening moments) lol I can honestly say you're the reason we are trying this live off the land, the chickens are the best I get so excited when they have laid an egg! Lol I knew I would get attached to the pigs ( bacon and ham) and therefore the whole process has turned me against eating pork as of right know! Lmbo Anyone should take farming advice from you, you truly are the greatest farmer live off the land canner chicken egg getter pork (poor author) natural eating person I know! Lol love you dearly and thank God for sending me a friend like you! (next time please choose a better picture of me) lol I could choke you ( ysi) ha ha ha ha! Might I also add this is the first time I have ever read your blog! Love it can't wait to read this to big chad he will love this! Oh and Devon!!!! Lol Oh and big Nancy oh honey she will love this! She will be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, we've all lost gardens, chickens, pigs, and whatever else we are trying to grow to raise our family. A good year is when it doesn't happen all once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie I think you are right. I never looked at it that way. If you are going to live this lifestyle, then you have to be like me and be able to laugh at it. I refuse to give up I love it too much! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete